The long-awaited mystery about how to get verified on Instagram has officially been revealed! For years, the platform kept this secret under wraps, however, the social giant is finally rolling out the ability to request the coveted blue badges for users worldwide. If you’re looking to boost your social presence, credibility, and exposure as an influencer, here’s how to get verified on Instagram.
Why You Should Apply To Get Verified on Instagram
The benefits of Instagram verification go far beyond obtaining a tiny blue check on your profile. First of all, Instagram stresses that its strict verification process is in place to ensure that users can easily find the accounts they are looking for. Thus, at the surface, the blue check will denote that your account is legitimate, offering instant credibility to Instagram’s 1 billion monthly users. In addition to instant credibility, Instagram verification can also help you get a leg up on your competition. Since Instagram hand-selects the accounts it verifies, there is no specific formula or follower count a creator needs to guarantee verification. If you are successful in getting the blue check, you will join the exclusive group of “public figures, celebrities, and brands” that currently have verified profiles. Finally, getting verified on Instagram is also a great way to boost your discoverability and grow your following because verified accounts appear at the top in Instagram search results
Requirements To Get Verified On Instagram
Before you send your request to get verified, it is important to understand Instagram’s requirements in order to secure a blue checkmark. Instagram stresses that those seeking verification should be a notable public figure, celebrity, global brand or entity with an authentic presence on its platform. Specifically, Instagram will check to see if your profile is:
- Authentic– Your profile must represent a real person or registered business/entity/brand.
- Unique- Only one account per person or business may be verified (with the exception of language-specific accounts). General interest accounts do not qualify for verification.
- Complete– Accounts looking to get verified must be set to public and include a bio, profile pictures, and at least one published post.
- Notable– Similar to Wikipedia, your account must represent a well-known, highly searched for person, brand or entity. Instagram will review and approve profiles that are featured in multiple new sources.
How To Get Verified On Instagram
Does that sound like you? Great, now here’s how to get verified on Instagram in a few easy steps:
- Click the ‘Profile’ button at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Navigate to your ‘Settings’ by selecting the three lines located at the top right.
- Scroll down and tap ‘Request Verification’.
- Complete the form with your username and full name.
- Upload your government-issued photo ID (ID must contain your name and date of birth).
- Accepted documents include driver’s license, passport, or national identification card. For business or individuals that don’t have a government-issued ID, you can also upload an “official business document” like a tax filing, recent utility bill, or article of incorporation.
Please note that providing false or misleading information during the verification process could prevent you from getting the blue check, or worse, you could get your account deleted. Keep in mind that applying for verification on Instagram does not guarantee your profile will receive the blue check. However, if your request gets denied, there’s no need to fear. Instagram will let you re-apply in 30 days.
Check back next week for more helpful creator hacks.